Goodreads
Goodreads asked Melissa Dahl:

How do you get inspired to write?

Melissa Dahl I don't, really? I think this is a big myth about writing -- the idea that you have to be ~inspired~ to write before you write. You don't!!

We tend to believe this is how motivation, or inspiration, works. You have to feel like working out before you work out; you have to feel like writing before you write. But is that true, necessarily?

I wrote a short post about this years ago for Science of Us -- there will be days when you are not feeling particularly inspired to write. That's okay.. You can acknowledge that reluctance -- but it doesn't have to dictate what you do. It is totally possible to not "feel" like writing WHILE you are writing.

Being a journalist really beat this idea into me. You just don't get the luxury of waiting for inspiration when your deadline is in a half hour. Sometimes I wish my approach to writing was more muse-like or magical, but mostly, I appreciate my workmanlike attitude. It gets the job done.

(I mean, there totally ARE those magical hours where some idea or inspiration hits you in a flash! But that doesn't HAVE to happen. You can still get the work done, even without that magic.)

p.s. Here's that Science of Us post: https://www.thecut.com/2016/04/this-i...

More Answered Questions

About Goodreads Q&A

Ask and answer questions about books!

You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.

See Featured Authors Answering Questions

Learn more