Goodreads
Goodreads asked John Adams:

How do you get inspired to write?

John Adams My mother used to be a banshee when it came to garage sales. On Christmas 1992, she was talking with her sister, my aunt, about her garage sale exploits. I butted in and started what amounted to a stand-up comedy routine about knocking over fences, doing a bootlegger-180 in the middle of the road, killing live chickens and more just so she could buy a sweater for a quarter that she would wear only three times. Everyone was laughing their butts off when Mom rather indignantly declared, "with the way you can spout bulls**t off the top of your head like that, you ought to write a book!" I laughed along with everyone else and thought that was that. In mid January 1993, however, she showed up at our door with the gift of an old computer. "You laughed it off but I was serious. You ought to write a book." And so it began. As of April 2019, I have 48 completed novels waiting their turn to be published to Amazon's Kindle program.

And yes --- Mom got that computer from a garage sale!

About Goodreads Q&A

Ask and answer questions about books!

You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.

See Featured Authors Answering Questions

Learn more