Goodreads
Goodreads asked Kain Ramsay:

How do you get inspired to write?

Kain Ramsay Honestly? I don't wait to be inspired. Inspiration is unreliable. Some days it shows up, most days it doesn't, and a writing life built on waiting for it produces very little writing.

What I do instead is pay attention. Most of what ends up in my books started as something I noticed in a conversation, a coaching session, or my own head at 6am when I couldn't get an idea to leave me alone. I keep a running note of those moments rather than trying to remember them, because a good insight at 11pm is gone by morning if you don't write it down.

The actual sitting-down-and-writing part is discipline, not inspiration. I show up whether I feel like it or not, and more often than not the wanting-to-write arrives about ten minutes after I've started, not before.

About Goodreads Q&A

Ask and answer questions about books!

You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.

See Featured Authors Answering Questions

Learn more